If release is directed the prisoner will be subject to licence conditions.
In the case of life sentence prisoners the Parole Commissioners will recommend any licence conditions they feel is necessary to ensure that the prisoner can be safely released into the community.
Standard Licence Conditions
The following licence conditions are considered to the the stadard conditions included in a life sentenced prisoner's licence.
- On your release you must report to the probation officer so nominated, at the time and place designated.
- You shall place yourself under the supervision of whichever probation officer is nominated for this purpose and co-operate with risk assessment procedures required by this probation officer to enable your safe management and supervision.
- You shall keep in touch with your nominated probation officer in accordance with that officer's instructions.
- You shall receive visits at your home, or place of residence, from your probation officer as deemed appropriate by PBNI.
- You will permanently reside at an address approved by your probation officer and you must notify that officer, in advance, of any proposed change of address or any proposed stay (even for one night) away from that approved address.
- You will undertake only such work (including voluntary work) approved by your probation officer and you must notify him or her, in advance, of any proposed change.
- You will not travel outside of Northern Ireland without the prior permission of your probation officer.
- You must not behave in such a way that would undermine the purposes of your supervision, which are to protect the public, prevent you from re-offending and help you resettle successfully into the community.
- You must attend upon …………… (where known the practitioner should be named, subject to their agreement) a duly qualified ……………..(Add speciality -psychiatrist/psychologist/medical practitioner) for such care, supervision or treatment as that practitioner recommends.
- You shall not engage in any work or other organised activity involving a person aged under 17 years or under, either in a professional or voluntary basis [without the prior consent of your probation officer]
J2 You will not have any unsupervised contact with any child or young person under the age of 17.
- You shall reside at (....provide name, address, e.g. hostel....) and must not leave to live elsewhere without obtaining the prior approval of your probation officer; thereafter you must reside as directed (or approved) by your probation officer
- You must not reside (not even to stay for one night) in the same household as any children aged 17 years or under [without the prior consent of your probation officer].
- You must not seek to approach or communicate with [....insert name of victim and/or family members...] without the prior approval of your supervising officer/and name of appropriate social services department.
- You must not enter (.... state the name of the area/place...), which is defined in the attached map, under any circumstances without the prior permission of your probation officer.
- You shall comply with any requirements specified by your probation officer for the purpose of ensuring that you address, your (.... insert problem behaviour here.... e.g. alcohol/drug/sexual/gambling/ solvent abuse/anger/debt/offending) behaviour problems at (.... insert name of course and location where appropriate).
- You must not seek to approach or communicate with (.... insert name ...) your wife/partner/former wife/former partner/daughter/son/children/ grandchildren/other persons or any members of their family without the prior approval of your supervising officer/and (if relevant name of the appropriate social services department.
- You shall not access the internet, nor use computers, without the prior approval of your probation officer.
- You shall not engage in paramilitary activities nor participate in any organisation that supports, directs, authorises or controls such activities. (This condition does not limit in any way condition H [ensure that this letter refers to the good behaviour condition of the Standard Licence conditions] requiring your continuing good behaviour). This condition will be supervised by the Police Service of Northern Ireland [if this condition is to be included and residence is outside NI insert the name of the appropriate Police Force].